ALOIS KRCHA INSPIRATION 2017
- Angel´s Monastery 195 CZK The oldest note of the use of this building is contained in writings dating to the 12th century when it served as a home to a monastery. It is generally known, monks are skilled at brewing various potions and so they did even here. One of their goals was to be close to angels in heaven. We believe Alois was successful at this by combining Beefeater gin, fresh lemon juice, vermouth, orange liqueur and homemade hibiscus syrup. And that’s why we warmly welcome you to Angel’s Monastery...
- Jeremy’s Swizzle Stick 185 CZK Gustav Machatý, the pioneer director of titillating films and a dear friend of Alois’s, triggered our interest to create an erotically-themed cocktail. We were inspired by Ron de Jeremy, an icon in the business, who became famous for the production of titillating movies as well as his own rum brand. Our homage to him is sweet and sour and slightly spicy in the end—just like his colourful life was. The beginning is heavy and sour, but, over time, sweetness and passion unveil. The spicy, hot flavour as well as the cocktail’s size refer to his documentaries.
- From Dust Till Foam 175 CZK We believe there is no need for us to introduce Quentin Tarantino’s From Dusk Till Dawn. Alois and Quentin indeed had a lot in common. Both of them were left by their fathers at an early age and, shortly after, were enchanted by film. And the story in From Dust Till Dawn describing a trip the main characters take from the USA to Mexico, may remind us of Alois’s smuggle trip to the south. Just as in the movie, Alois frequently ended up in a bar during his travels. The cocktail’s flavour will also remind you of the film: a sweet, pleasant beginning of elderberries will soon be replaced by the sour and bitter after-taste of gin, lemon, Aperol and fresh grapefruit juice.
- Oldtowner 195 CZK Alois was one of the first people to smuggle spirit made from agave. To disguise its typical smoky scent he added strawberry and basil in it. We expanded his recipe to include chocolate bitter, agave syrup and fresh lime.
- Yellow Boxer 195 CZK Alois came across Galliano, an Italian herb liqueur, on his way to Paris and immediately fell for it. For years he was looking for a fitting ingredient. As his diary reveals, he found it in Mexico where he used tequila a lot. The cocktail was originally made by Charles Schumann, a German bar legend. In addition to Galliano and tequila, the two key ingredients, our version of the cocktail will offer you additional dose of vitamins in the form of fresh lime and orange juices. We believe you’ll fall in love with this unique blend, just as Alois did.
- Paku Paku 195 CZK Sitting around with Don Beachcomber, Alois took part in a small rum tasting. He decided to use samples he found most interesting to create a cocktail fit for the Caribbean climate. By combining four types of rum, spices, fresh lime, grapefruit and orange juices, he created a predecessor to the Tiki cocktail and inspired Don to make a number of other cocktails known by the entire world today. Now you too can taste this unique creation!
- YoMama 185 CZK In Alois’s diary we came across an almost illegible sheet of paper featuring a list of smuggled goods. When we turned it over we discovered a true treasure: a secret recipe containing a mixture of spices, fruit and herbs. The handwriting does not make it clear, wheather the recipe was written by Alois or the great Don Beachcomber. For this reason we decided to use this unique mix to prepare our own Tiki cocktail and added a mixture of three rums, almonds, chocolate and fresh fruit juices.
- Nui Nui 195 CZK Don The Beachcomber is considered to be the true creator of Tiki. In addition to specific recipes he created, there were several secret mixtures, which he kept away even from Alois. One of them is also used in the famous Nui Nui cocktail. It was only recently, that the specific ingredients were identified and we would like to make Alois happy by including it to our menu. The recipe includes golden and dark rums, homemade vanilla and cinnamon syrups and fresh lime juice veiled behind fresh orange juice and enriched by a shot of Angostura bitter. The combination of these ingredients can satisfy even the most demanding taste buds.
- Imset Cooler 195 CZK Sketches of an earthenware Canopic jar in the diary probably refer to Alois’s stay in Egypt, where he used them to drink healing potions. Imset, the Egyptian god and protector of the livers, certainly reminded Alois of a relief depicted on the Old Town Square Astronomical Clock. We decided to modify this cocktail made by Jack McGarry, a world renowned bartender, whose key ingredient is melon juice, a reference to the oldest seeds found in the ancient Egypt. Our treatment also includes Tequila, fresh lime juice, grenadine and other secret ingredients which will revive even a mummy.
- Concord 165 CZK Rudolf Slavík, a legendary bartender, used this cocktail recipe in the only known radio bartender contest: Cocktail Parade EX Plzeň 67“ which he won! The drink is prepared using equal amounts of gin, dry vermouth and strawberry syrup. Only few people know Rudolf received the recipe from Alois as early as in 1934. At that time he took part in a bartender contest on board the Leviathan, an American cruise ship. Alois was working there as a gastronomy consultant to avoid dealing with issues he had on the shore.
- Bohemian Manhattan 245 CZK The Manhattan cocktail certainly needs no introduction. Alois found its rough profile interesting and it inspired him to make his own whiskey, he would use to make his own version of the drink. We are not sure whether manufacturers of the sole Czech single-malt whiskey were inspired by Alois. Anyway, it is also thanks to them that we may present you with our version of the famous cocktail which makes use of Becherovka, another legendary Czech brand. We believe Alois would be proud of us!
- Alois’s Becher-Cobbler 155 CZK One of the oldest categories is celebrating its comeback. This is a fruity, less alcoholic and very addictive drink that will please you on hot summer days as well as at other times. We used Alois’s recipe in which Italian vermouth is mixed with fresh fruit, homemade grapefruit syrup and topped off with Becherovka Alois was a true patriot and always favoured it!!!
- Leave a Message 195 CZK Alois drew inspiration for another of his cocktails from a library the third key phase that formed the history of the building. The first chapter and the heart of this ‘novel’ consists in mature Cuban rum Havana Club aňejo 7 años, favoured by Ernest Hemingway, a globally renowned author. The story is spiced up with fresh lime and grapefruit juice intertwined with sugar syrup. The plot culminates with a touch of absinthe which is closely tied to the literary world of the 19th century...
- Formula of Magister Kelley 235 CZK During the 15th and 16th centuries, the building basement was used as a pharmacy similar to the adjacent Small Square which used to be dedicated to pharmacology. Undoubtedly the most famous alchemist and healer who lived in Prague was Magister Edward Kelley. He was attempting to prepare an elixir of eternal youth for Kaiser Rudolf II. The elixir we have for you here was prepared by a great grand-son of Karl Tvaroh, a Prague plasterer and Alois’s best friend. In it, Pavel Tvaroh used Becherovka Cordial, linden blossom, elder flower, nettle, dandelion and burdock.
- Building Treasure 295 CZK Discover the true treasure of our bar! The map leading to it may look threatening but the experience awaiting you in the chest is definitely worth it. Because true treasures are as rare as saffron, the main ingredient used in our liquid treasure is French Safron gin infused with this world’s most costly spice. Other, less dominant ingredients are fresh lime juice, sugar syrup and a few leaves of basil. The treasure cocktail is crowned with French gold: Michel Arnould champagne.
- Drink No. 10 195 CZK Looking through Alois’s diary we discovered this mysterious cocktail name and with it a simple recipe for a flip drink. The word “flip” was first used in 1695. Beer, rum and sugar were warmed using a heated piece of iron. Over time, people started to add an egg and increased the amount of sugar. The first note of a “flip” comes from Jerry Thomas’s book from 1862. Today, a flip is always made with a yolk. It must be shook only briefly and dynamically, or just rolled. An unwritten rule demands this drink to always come with a bit of grated nutmeg on top. Alois’s version includes cognac Martell V.S. infused with apricots, sugar syrup, an egg yolk, nutmeg and a pinch of love, of course.
- USS Richmond punch 185 CZK Alois was a great fan of war literature. For this reason he chose punch named after a battleship of a Union state where the punch was also served. In 1862 this ship occupied the city of New Orleans, freed it from slavery and dealt another heavy blow to Confederation in the infamous civil war. Just like any other proper punch, this version, too, has a strong taste with an intriguing flavour of black tea.
- Knickerbocker Á La Monsieur 165 CZK This is one of Alois’s favourite cocktails. First, it appeared in the first bartender’s handbook by Jerry Thomas published in 1862. It is a grandad of Mai Tai made from a generous portion of rum Havana Club 3 años with the additional orange curacao, raspberry syrup and fresh lemon juice.
- Botanical Collins 165 CZK Alois described this drink as an authentic replica of plague water drunk in our kingdom in the 14th century when the first plague wave hit... This water was flavoured with local herbs such as sage, camomile, juniper, tea, etc. Here, we add the premium Beefeater 24, fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup for fineness...
- Moravian sour 165 CZK During his travels around the USA, Alois remembered well all the things his grandfather had taught him about growing plums. In the late 1920s this knowledge helped him cultivate a frost-resistance plum variety named Stanley. The master blender of Rudolf Jelínek and bartenders of the Black Angel’s chose together limited edition of plum brandy exclusively for our bar and this signature cocktail. The unique base is flavoured with lemon and passionfruit syrup, refined by an egg white and balanced with Italian Aperol which is used instead of bar bitters.
Black Angel’s Medicine
Tomáš Mucha *2.11.1995 – † 14.6.2015
Our entire menu is dedicated to the memory of one bar founding member, who is now mixing cocktails in another Angel’s bar somewhere on the other side. He always wanted to have a cocktail of his own on our menu. So we’ve included the drink he was mixing in the Belvedere Challenge 2014.
„Thomas, for us you are and always will be part of this bar. Forever and for always you will be the Black Angel! Thank you.“ The Black Angel’s Bar Team
Black Angel’s Medicine
30 ml Belvedere vodka
15 ml Becherovka
15 ml Lillet blanc
2dsh Peach Bitters
BLACK ANGEL’S BAR BY MOSER
- Vieux Carré Aged 395 CZK The first cocktail we have prepared for you comes from the Monteleone Hotel, New Orelans. This American town was strongly influenced by French culture. The cocktail’s name reads “Old Square” in English so it is practically our duty to include it on our menu, since its name is almost identical to the address of this building where Alois lived, where our bar is located and where you find yourselves right now. One of its key ingredients is Martell Cordon Bleu, which saw the light in 1912, i.e., in the same year in which Alois ordered glass for the then NY bar from Moser. COINCIDENCE? The cognac used in the drink is accompanied by Sazerac (a rye whiskey), Antica Formula, DOM Benedictine and bitters. Our version has also been matured by the unique Oak Bottles system.
- Gordon Bleu Sazerac 395 CZK Sazerac is probably the best known and also the oldest cognac-based cocktail. We believe, it would definitely be included on the menu Alois planned to have served in handmade crystal glass. Enjoy the great Martell Cordon Bleu in the version that refers to the fame of master distillers, glass engravers and also bar legends such as Peychaud, Pernod and Krcha.
- Negroni 345 CZK Negroni is a classic well tested throughout the years which definitely deserves perfect serving. Because of the way its flavour is balanced, the original version of this drink is favoured by bartenders all over the world. We would like to pay homage to Alois, as a bartender, and also dress this legendary drink in a crystal coat. Its base consists of the delicate Jensen gin with a slight tone of citrus. Its bitter-sweet profile is made complete by a combination of Campari bitter and a premium Italian vermouth by Giuseppe Carpana named Antica Formula.
- Rob Still Walking 1490 CZK During his stay in New York Alois liked to hide away from the rush of the city in the Waldorf Astoria bar in Manhattan. This bar gave rise to the very famous Rob Roy cocktail, first prepared for the opening night of the 1894 light opera bearing the same name Rob Roy. This scottish „Robin Hood“ became legend in his country. On his honour, Black Angel’s team prepared unique combination of blended whisky Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Vermouth del profesore, Italian herbal jewel mixed by Giancarla Macina and bitters. All together is served in crystal masterpiece made by Ludwig Moser.
Long drink Short drink